The 2021 January Cow Hunt is only being offered to local Southern Ute First Descendants
Started in 2001, the January Cow Elk Hunt is a limited-draw hunt held over a two-week period in January, following Southern Ute Tribal member seasons. The hunt is split between two hunt units on the eastern side of the Southern Ute Reservation – Archuleta and Sandoval Units.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the hunt will be open only to Southern Ute First Descendants.
- Permits may be purchased until December 18, 2020 at 3:00 PM.
- The Hunting Fee for 2021 is a TOTAL of $175.
- Permit Pick-up Times and Location – Permit pick-up will be 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm on Friday January 8, 2021. Location TBD.
- There will be a Mandatory Online Orientation held Friday, January 8, 2021 starting at 6:00 PM.
Southern Ute First Descendants
- Must present paperwork from Tribal Information Services certifying that they are a first descendant of an enrolled Southern Ute tribal member
- Must reside within the designated “Safe Zone” as defined by the IMT and Tribal Council
- Must be 12 years old or older.
- Hunters under 21 years of age must possess a hunter safety education card and must present it at the time permits are picked up.
- Issued permits must be signed by the applicant.
Purchase a Permit
Permit sales ended on December 18, 2020 at 3:00 PM
Forms and Documents
Note: These maps are subject to change. Up-to-date maps will be included with the hunter’s permit.
Return to Hunting