Southern Ute Indian Tribe


Jeremy Wade Shockley | Southern Ute Drum

Division of Wildlife Resource Management

Wildlife Division Head

Steve Whiteman
(970) 563-0130

Non-Member Fishing is temporarily suspended due to the Covid-19 Outbreak. Tribal Members and their immediate family members may still access the rivers at the designated fishing access locations. Lake Capote is also closed to the general public at this time.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Stream Fishing Permits

Southern Ute Tribal Members

Enrolled Southern Ute Tribal members, both juveniles and adults, must have in their possession a Southern Ute Fishing Permit when fishing on the Southern Ute Reservation. No state fishing permit is required and enrolled status allows for fishing on all waters within the Reservation boundaries. See Stream Access for specific restrictions regarding access on tribal assignments, allotments, and private property. A Tribal member fishing permit is issued free of charge and is valid for the calendar year in which it is issued. A Tribal member must show proof of enrollment by presenting his or her tribal census card.


All non- members must obtain a Tribal fishing permit to fish on designated Tribal waters. A Colorado State fishing license is not required to fish on Tribal waters but is required to fish on private property. See Stream Access for specific access restrictions on Tribal assignments, allotments, and private property.


Fishing Permit Fees (Non-members)

Juvenile (12 years and under)$10$15$30
Adult (13 years and over)$20$25$50
2-day Access Permit (13 years and over)
Required for any non-fishing adult wishing to accompany a non-member fisherman on designated Tribal waters.
Permit Replacement
All non-Tribal fishermen needing to replace lost or damaged fishing permits can purchase duplicates at the Southern Ute Division of Wildlife Office.

Two-day access permits are required for any non-fishing adults (13 years and over) wishing to accompany a permitted fisherman on designated tribal waters. The access permit fee is $5.00 per adult and the permit is valid for 2 consecutive days when accompanying a permitted fisherman.

Permit Replacement

All fishermen needing to replace lost or damaged fishing permits can purchase duplicates at the Southern Ute Division of Wildlife office for a $5.00 replacement fee.


Fishing Permit Vendors

In addition to the Southern Ute Division of Wildlife office, fishing permits are available through the vendors listed below. Contact the Division of Wildlife for up-to-date information on permit availability.

VendorAddressCity, State, ZipPhoneHours of Operation
Division of Wildlife Resource Management116 Memorial Drive, Annex Building
P.O. Box 737
Ignacio, CO 81137(970) 563-0130Mon-Thur: 7am – 12pm, 1pm – 5pm

Fri: 8am – 12pm, 1pm – 5pm
Sky Ute Casino – Gift Shop14324 Highway 172Ignacio, CO 81137(970) 563-62697 days: 7am – 11pm
Thriftway15051 Highway 172Ignacio, CO 81137(970) 563-94567 days: 6am – 10pm
Duranglers923 Main AvenueDurango, CO 81301(970) 385-4081Mon-Sat: 8am – 7pm

Sun: 9am – 5pm
Float ‘N Fish#4 County Rd 4251Navajo Dam, NM 87419(505) 632-53857 days: 7am – 5pm
Lake Capote389 Highway 151Pagosa Springs, CO 81147(970) 883-22737 days: 8am – 6pm (mid-May – mid-Sept)

Return to Wildlife Resource Management